/*Indian Premier League 2010 | IPL 2010: OYE ITS CRICKET*/

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I have done nothing illegal, says Tharoor

Shashi Tharoor on Tuesday said in the Lok Sabha that he wants all the charges levelled against him investigated and hoped that his name will be cleared.

Speaking on his alleged role in the IPL Kochi franchise, Tharoor said that he resigned as the Minister of State for External Affairs from the Union Cabinet as he had "no desire to embarrass the government".

"My conscience is clear. I have done nothing illegal in the ongoing IPL controversy. It has been a great privilege to serve the Union Cabinet. I thank the Prime Minister (Manmohan Singh) and Sonia (Congress President Sonia Gandhi) for giving me the opportunity," says Tharoor.

"I am determined to do my best for India and the ideals that brought me here. I'm proud to represent Kerala's capital in the Lok Sabha," the MP from Thiruvananthapuram read from a prepared speech.
Admitting that he was new to politics Tharoor pointed out that had led a long public life. He also hoped that Parliament "will move on from here to deal with serious issues".

Tharoor was forced to resign from the Union Cabinet on Sunday following allegations over his involvement in the bidding for an IPL team.

The 54-year-old MP has been accused of helping his friend, businesswoman Sunanda Pushkar, in acquiring a stake in the Kochi IPL team. Pushkar, who received a sweat equity valued at Rs 70 crore in the IPL Kochi franchise, announced earlier in the day that she had resigned from Rendezvous Sports World, which is one of the stakeholders in IPL Kochi.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP